
I've been blogging up a storm this week, hopefully you guys don't get overwhelmed, lol.
So as I mentioned I was planning on watching a documentary called "The Cove." I wasn't expecting much at first after seeing Michael Moore's documentaries(not really fond of them, but he does a good job conveying his points) but surprisingly I really enjoyed it to the point where I'd consider it one of my favorite documentaries EVER.
The background to the movie is basically about a small town in Japan called Taiji which is known for it's love of whales and dolphins(buildings with paintings of dolphins, EVERY BUILDING has something related to aquatic life). But, behind their love of dolphins they hide a secret in which they are the leading supplier of dolphins from meat to performer dolphins, such as those in SeaWorld. The majority of the mass killings of these dolphins occurs in a small cove where only a few people have access too. One day, the man responsible for the old dolphin hit "Flipper" decides he has had enough of the mass killings and decides to expose the small city of Taiji to the world.
Throughout the movie he recruits various people ranging from world class free divers to movie prop makers to achieve his goal. Throughout their whole 2 month stay (im guessing) they are continuously being followed by Taiji police and are often being questioned by officials(2 of which are filmed). The documentary does such a good job in developing the viewer's awareness to the beauty of these dolphins that once you see the last 15 minutes of the movie you will literally be on your seat with your heart racing to see what happens next(The last 15 minutes of the movie have gotta be the most memorable in the movie. It was so intense I replayed it about 5 times).
Also, the movie has everything that makes a "good documentary." It has hilarious moments such as the crazy police dude, action moments, suspensful moments, and has all the necessary information to provide a clear and definite message to the viewers of the documentary. Another point I liked was that unlike some documentaries, "The Cove" does not criticize Japan culture but actually supports them by adding scenes in which the person actually goes to the major cities and interviews the people there, proving how lucrative the dolphin killing business is.
The only thing I didn't like was that some scenes looked pretty staged and such especially the Night scenes. Apart from that it was pretty good :)
I'd seriously recommend watching this. Even if you're not a crazy aquatic life person (like me), this documentary will seriously make you more aware of how precious life is. :). WATCH IT, DO IT. :)
i wanted to watch the one about the recession or watever...and i only remember it because you mentioned michael moore lol
ReplyDeletethe only somewhat recent documentary i've watched was about modern china by pbs frontline haha which was like from 2008